• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 dmaxmike

dmaxmike

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Unless you look very deep, chances are you cannot even find who actually makes your parts or the parts that go into your part.  Companies buy things from other companies and simply rebrand them.  For example, Cub Cadet yard equipment sold at Big Box stores is actually made by MTD even though everything looks like it is from Cub Cadet.  Cub may still actually make stuff exclusively for dealers, but not too sure.  On a disappointing note, my big, overpriced Cub Cadet riding mower, although a bit faster due to a wider path, cuts my 3 or so acres of grass no better than the old Craftsman mower I have.  (Cup holders on a mower are useless as the jostling causes my beer to foam excessively.)

On an equally interesting note, some stuff that looks like it is a secondary brand may be made by a dependable company or include parts from quality companies.  For example, I just bought a Powermate generator for about $800.  I wanted a Honda engined generator, but couldn't justify the massive price difference for the same or less wattage.  The bright side is my cheaper generator is made from Honda, Yamaha, and/or Subaru parts.  (A Honda equipment dealer confirmed this and actually recommended the Powermate for this reason.)

cub cadet has been owned by mtd since the 80's but in the 2000's starting making them cheap like everything else.  all my motors are Honda or yanmar and nothing but green tractors and orange power equipment for me.  all bought at local mom and pop stores not big boxes.  the whole thing with craftsman and other brands cheeping out over the years makes me sick to my stomach.   

#22 fedup

fedup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,957 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

Unless you look very deep, chances are you cannot even find who actually makes your parts or the parts that go into your part. Companies buy things from other companies and simply rebrand them. For example, Cub Cadet yard equipment sold at Big Box stores is actually made by MTD even though everything looks like it is from Cub Cadet. Cub may still actually make stuff exclusively for dealers, but not too sure. On a disappointing note, my big, overpriced Cub Cadet riding mower, although a bit faster due to a wider path, cuts my 3 or so acres of grass no better than the old Craftsman mower I have. (Cup holders on a mower are useless as the jostling causes my beer to foam excessively.)

On an equally interesting note, some stuff that looks like it is a secondary brand may be made by a dependable company or include parts from quality companies. For example, I just bought a Powermate generator for about $800. I wanted a Honda engined generator, but couldn't justify the massive price difference for the same or less wattage. The bright side is my cheaper generator is made from Honda, Yamaha, and/or Subaru parts. (A Honda equipment dealer confirmed this and actually recommended the Powermate for this reason.)

YEPPER on the unknown manufacturer.

Plus you need to develop a beer wrist. I can hold a can steady going flat out over a washboard.

Years of practice.

A definition of our government---- Stupid, leading the ignorant, into the dumb zone. 

Quit making excuses-----deal with things for what they really are not what you want them to be. 

#23 fedup

fedup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,957 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

I am pretty sure that MTD does not own MTD anymore. I think Electrolux bought them out years ago. I think they are based in Europe somewhere.

A definition of our government---- Stupid, leading the ignorant, into the dumb zone. 

Quit making excuses-----deal with things for what they really are not what you want them to be. 

#24 Lizard

Lizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

MTD brands produced

MTD's brands[edit]
  • Bolens
  • Columbia
  • Cub Cadet
    • Cub Cadet Commercial
    • Cub Cadet Yanmar (joint with Yanmar)
  • Farm King
  • GardenWay
  • Gold Series
  • Gutbrod
    • Gutbrod-Kehrer
  • Huskee
  • Lawnflite
  • Mastercut
  • Mow Master
    • Mow Master Mastercut
  • MTD
    • MTD Black Edition
    • MTD Silver Edition
    • MTD Gold
    • MTD Mowmaster
    • MTD Platinum Pro
    • MTD Platinum SD
    • MTD Pro
    • MTD Super
    • MTD Taral
    • MTD Tradesman
    • MTD Turbomax
    • MTD 2000 Elite
  • Novotrac
  • Ranch King
  • Rasentrac
  • Remington
  • Troy-Bilt
  • Ventzki
  • Ventzki MTD
  • White Outdoor
  • Wolf Garten
  • Yard Machines
  • Yard-Man
    • Yard-Man Elite
    • Yard-Man Select
  • YardWorks
Private label brands produced[edit]

MTD builds or has built various other brands and store-brand lawn and garden tractors over the years, including:

[6]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users