19 replies to this topic

#1 Bon

Bon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,868 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has completed routine surveillance of hardware stores and other retail facilities in 13 counties to verify that leaded solder is not being sold for plumbing purposes. This surveillance is conducted in accordance with the 1989 Lead Ban Act.

solder.JPGThroughout the summer of 2016, DEP staff investigated 575 stores to make sure that lead solder is not being sold and that restricted solder types that are allowed to be sold commercially are not being displayed in plumbing supply sections of those stores.

“Keeping banned lead products off the shelves is a good way to prevent future water contamination,” said Patrick McDonnell, Acting DEP Secretary. “I’m very pleased to see that many stores are following the regulations and keeping banned products off of their shelves.”

The investigation found 356 stores that sell solder. Of those stores:
• 59% sell only lead-free solder
• 5% of stores (17) were selling solder in violation of the Lead Ban Act
o 3% selling banned solder (11)
o 2% selling restricted solder in plumbing section (6)

Compliance notices were issued for the violations. DEP can also issue fines of up to $1,000 for each violation. Since 2005, surveillance activities have included auto parts, electronics, and craft stores. These types of retailers should be aware of and complying with the Lead Ban Act.

DEP staff will continue routine and follow-up activities throughout 2017 to ensure stores remain in compliance.

#2 NikonSniper

NikonSniper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Maybe DEP's next investigation should be to go into schools, hospitals, and other public buildings including all local, state, and federal buildings and test all the solder joints, valves, and faucets for lead. 

Bet that investigation would open some eyes wide open....

#3 Ignatius

Ignatius

He gone!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

Better start digging up waterlines in some of the neighboring small towns!  I know for a fact of one town six miles away, that still has lead water pipes.

Watch out for the wild beasts! 

#4 Gator11

Gator11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Better start digging up waterlines in some of the neighboring small towns!  I know for a fact of one town six miles away, that still has lead water pipes.

There are water lines made from asbestos still in service across the country also.

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

#5 NikonSniper

NikonSniper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

There are water lines made from asbestos still in service across the country also.

People would blow a gasket if they knew how much asbestos is still in homes and other buildings across the country....

Ever wonder how many "do it your selfers" remodeled their homes and have no idea they exposed their selves and family members to asbestos that was used in many construction materials back in the day.... 

• Bon likes this

#6 Bon

Bon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,868 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

We remodeled our house, Hubby bagged up the loose asbestos insulation that was all over the attic and threw in in a corner where I couldn't get to it. When we had the new roof, windows, siding put on, the contractor took care of taking the stuff to the landfill. Other then that, I'm pretty sure our house is good.

#7 soccermom

soccermom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,098 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

People would blow a gasket if they knew how much asbestos is still in homes and other buildings across the country....

Ever wonder how many "do it your selfers" remodeled their homes and have no idea they exposed their selves and family members to asbestos that was used in many construction materials back in the day.... 

You see it all the time as wraps on furnace pipes in basements. Also, that asbestos siding is still on lots of houses.

#8 soccermom

soccermom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,098 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Are you kidding?  They're still using lead water pipes while the DEP is paying people to shop for lead solder?

#9 Ignatius

Ignatius

He gone!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

You see it all the time as wraps on furnace pipes in basements. Also, that asbestos siding is still on lots of houses.

Certain types of asbestos are not as bad as others. At one time, brake shoes were made of asbestos. Many roofs, as well as sidings, had asbestos in the composition, as did floor tile, drywall of years ago.

#10 jaman

jaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,934 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

Just like Flint

#11 zukafire

zukafire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Didn't know you could still buy lead base solder.

#12 dubois_15801

dubois_15801

OSP Communications Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

Didn't know you could still buy lead base solder.

You can.   It does have legit and legal uses, like for electrical and automotive purposes.

#13 Ignatius

Ignatius

He gone!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:59 AM

You can.   It does have legit and legal uses, like for electrical and automotive purposes.

Bullet casting!

#14 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,341 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:19 AM

How about a good education tag with the product?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

#15 pwacm

pwacm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

How about a good education tag with the product?

I read tags. I think I am in the minority on that one.  

#16 Bon

Bon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,868 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

I read tags,but usually cause I'm bored. But I must have my reading glasses why must all the print be so tiny!!!

#17 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,341 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

Unless it was wrapped in a huge tag, I might not look, but I have done Stained Glas in the past and not breathing the fumes was important because of the lead danger.  Who hasn't heard of the danger of lead soldered water pipes in homes?  Who has checked out the cost of getting them replaced?  Maybe that's why so many of them still exist.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

#18 Tommy

Tommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:45 AM

Who hasn't had that nice cool sip of water from their garden hose on a hot summer afternoon?

Did you know that you are exposing yourself to lead?

Here is an article discussing this issue:

http://saferchemical...t-garden-hoses/

• Bon likes this

#19 dubois_15801

dubois_15801

OSP Communications Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

Bullet casting!

I was referring to actual soldering uses.

Personally though, I don't use lead solder for casting material.   The mix isn't at my standard of needs.

#20 Ignatius

Ignatius

He gone!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

I was referring to actual soldering uses.
Personally though, I don't use lead solder for casting material.   The mix isn't at my standard of needs.

Wheel weights-I gathered enough to last me clean through the upcoming civil war and have enough to equip a company of twenty (provided they elect me captain and do not frac me!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users