48 replies to this topic

#41 allboys

allboys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

Obviously the clientele has changed over time or the stores would still be there.  

It was nice when there was a more relaxed and stable shopping experience.  There was a plan to your shopping and seasons to enjoy.  Now everything is rushed and anticipation has become lost.  You could amble around and relax while you looked.  Now you have to get and get out!  Who taught us that?

I have a plan to my shopping...it's to get in and get out.  :lol: I despise shopping for anything and it's the least relaxing thing for me.  Even online shopping.  I don't browse endlessly.  I know what I want, I log in, I purchase it, I log out.  

#42 Ignatius

Ignatius

Very confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:02 AM

My plan is not to go.

If I can't get it from Amazon, I wait until the next time I am at a specific store that offers the wares I want. That may mean when I'm in downtown Pittsburgh, etc.

Watch out for the wild beasts! 

#43 BrendaJ

BrendaJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

Sure was .... and it was a HUGE store at the time. Had to easily be the largest square footage aside from the two anchor stores. Magazine selection there was large too. Always cranking the coolest tunes on a great sound system. Was a fun place to be. Once they downsized to the other side of Kay's it was never the same.

I remember that now! when it was mentioned I thought of the small store, but yeah it was over where the eye doc is now?

#44 BigT

BigT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

Did National Record Mart eventually become FYE?

#45 jaman

jaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,238 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

I'm not sure, but I think these are the original stores from 1973: Murphy's Mart, Montgomery Wards, Valley Dairy, National Record Mart, Kinney's Shoes, Miller, Jolie Shop, House of Cards, Kirk's Mens Wear, General Nutrition, DeRoy Jewelers, Union Bank, Almar's Book Store, Hal Fritz, Riverside, Wolf Furniture. 

Remember as a kid the Dubois mall was the place to be. My parents would take the family Christmas shopping and get an ice cream cone treat. And the music from Mr. Fritz, would echo through the Mall. It was very festive. 

#46 Lyndsey33

Lyndsey33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

Remember as a kid the Dubois mall was the place to be. My parents would take the family Christmas shopping and get an ice cream cone treat. And the music from Mr. Fritz, would echo through the Mall. It was very festive.

it sure was.

#47 Cacao

Cacao

Ultimate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

I'm sure this was apart of VD's plan when they built the new location near the Giant.  I'm surprised that people are surprised to hear the news of the mall location closing.

#48 Lyndsey33

Lyndsey33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

It isn't like the location by Martin's is new. It's been there many years so I'm sure it wasn't in everyone's head that they made it so the mall restaurant could close. You would have thought they would have closed it years ago.

#49 mollycan

mollycan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Obviously the clientele has changed over time or the stores would still be there.  

It was nice when there was a more relaxed and stable shopping experience.  There was a plan to your shopping and seasons to enjoy.  Now everything is rushed and anticipation has become lost.  You could amble around and relax while you looked.  Now you have to get and get out!  Who taught us that?

I think we taught ourselves that, always in a hurry, so much to do.  I wish I could slow down also!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users