Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,380 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

Lingerie store refuses to take down ads with plus-size, disabled models

Mar. 16, 2017 at 5:41 PM
TODAY

A lingerie store that was told to remove a body-positive ad campaign featuring plus-size models and one woman in a wheelchair fought back — and to the delight of fans, they won.

LiviRae Lingerie’s latest campaign features women of all shapes, sizes and colors from various backgrounds. Sounds like a pretty inclusive campaign, right? The Kennesaw, Georgia-based store thought so, too. But last month, shortly after they launched the campaign and featured the images outside the store, they were asked to take them down.

livirae-lingerie-campaign-today-170315-iLiviRae Lingerie
LiviRae Lingerie's latest ad campaign features women of all shapes and sizes.

"I was getting ready to leave work when an email popped up from the property manager stating that they needed to discuss our windows — I immediately thought, this is not happening," LiviRae co-owner Molly Hopkins told TODAY.

On a subsequent phone call, the property manager told her the photos were "in poor taste," and needed prior approval, Hopkins said.

RELATED: People are really annoyed by Zara's 'love your curves' campaign

She and co-owner Cynthia Decker, former stars of the Lifetime show “Double Divas,” refused to take the photos down. The campaign, called “Real Bras, Real Women, Real Stories,” was a passion project that featured many of their own customers and showcased their mission to provide beautiful lingerie for every type of customer, from breast cancer survivors to plus-size women.

One of the models in the campaign, Christy Foster, poses in front of her photo.

"We've been here seven years and have never had to get approval," Hopkins said. "We've always had models in lingerie (in advertisements)."

The windows, now featuring the new campaign, had previously hosted ads of models in sports bras.

The store is leased by Westwood Financial of Los Angeles, which delegates landlord responsibilities to property managers across the country. Joe Dykstra, one of the real estate company’s CEOs, told TODAY that he fully supports LiviRae’s inclusive ad campaign, and said they are allowed to keep the ads up. The property manager made a mistake, he said.

The former storefront display featured models in sports bras.

“Unfortunately when you pioneer an office 1800 miles from the mother ship, sometimes misunderstandings happen,” Dykstra said.

The short-lived controversy earned LiviRae plenty of new fans, who spoke up on social media in support of the campaign.

“It’s really started kind of a revolution,” Decker told TODAY. “It makes me feel so good because it’s exactly what we wanted to happen. Women are waking up and saying, you know what? I’m beautiful, I feel beautiful. Just because society does not deem me beautiful, doesn’t mean I’m                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         http://www.today.com...ampaign-t109279

#2 Buster99

Buster99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:18 AM

Yay!!! That property manager should be fired.
What seems a blessing may really be a curse.  What seems a curse may really be a blessing.

#3 lavender

lavender

Lavender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

By all means celebrate all body types but don't try to shame the people who don't find certain body types appealing or extend special privileges to certain body types. No more political correctness.

#4 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Every woman deserves a pretty and properly made bra.  Just try to find one that does what it claims to be and doesn't look like something out of a straight jacket dream.

What exactly is WRONG with women who don't look like breeding stock?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

#5 Paradox90100

Paradox90100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Soooooooooooo let's see if I'm understanding this, if somebody is all inclusive they're wrong, and if someone doesn't include everyone they are also wrong. Right? I'm confused on which way is up now and my head hurts.

#6 Ignatius

Ignatius

Very confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,094 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

Soooooooooooo let's see if I'm understanding this, if somebody is all inclusive they're wrong, and if someone doesn't include everyone they are also wrong. Right? I'm confused on which way is up now and my head hurts.

As a male, when it comes to understanding wimmen's frillies, we are not meant to understand.

Watch out for the wild beasts! 

#7 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

It's better not to go there!  

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

#8 lavender

lavender

Lavender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Let me explain. The property manager did not want the property "defaced" with the pictures of "fat" women. "Wimmen's frillies", as ignatius so eloquently puts it, are the stuff of dreams. Put on this frilly and you will look like some up and coming super model. How can you sell the dream if you post pictures of real women stretch marks, pudge and all? Got that? No wise man buys his wife a frilly in size 16. He buys it in a size 4. She hugs him and thinks that the dear man still sees her as she looked when she was 25. She takes it back and exchanges it for hopefully not a flannel nightgown. Dreams are not rational and rationality should not be applies to frilliles. That said the property manager should keep his prejudices to himself. Stores should be permitted to market their merchandise as they see fit.

#9 Ignatius

Ignatius

Very confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,094 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:59 AM

Ah, Lavender! So wise! With fillies, Inhave encountered a conundrum that would have baffled Aristotle: never have I encountered something that was so intriguing on the female of the species, yet so scary when found laying scattered on the floor. Never have I seen anything that has left, grown, fully matter men, groveling like a newly-pubescent teen lad. Truly a paradox, if I may.

And may I pay on knowledge that came to me in the dead of the night (was it Confuscious or was it the icy cold shoulder?) never, ever buy the Queen of your household, frillier from a Tractor Supply, no matter how cute you think the little pigs look.

#10 lavender

lavender

Lavender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

Stay away from the camouflage too. They have a set of undies at that new Tractor Supply at Clearfield that stray right into the danger zone.

#11 lavender

lavender

Lavender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,661 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

I think I mean Rural King. But don't buy them anyway even as a joke.

#12 Ignatius

Ignatius

Very confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,094 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

I think I mean Rural King. But don't buy them anyway even as a joke.

Was in Rural King on Saturday!  Was hard to leave without a few ducks and chicks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users