#1 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Junk, hopefully people will add some serious answers:

The question was recently raised about where you get healthy food.  So where do you get yours?  How have you changed your diet successfully and improved your appreciation of food quality.?

Beverages:  I've tried to get away from excessive amounts of tea so I ordered Hibiscus Flowers from the internet and I make my own healthy tea just the way I like it. I gave up pop on a regular basis, never drank coffee, keep water chilled in a bottle in the fridge.  It worked.

Salads, I feed them to myself like a required medicine dose.  Found that I absolutely love cottage cheese as a dressing so I eat them willingly.  First thing this spring I intend to plant small batches of different lettuces to find out which ones I like, grow them in some shade so they don't bolt, and add food items like my own chicken eggs, olives, fresh tomatoes and home made cheeses to the mix.

Meat:  I started buying smaller amounts of Choice Organic Beef.  The taste treat is worth savoring instead of just bolting it down to finish it.

Spices:  The massive amounts used today to cover up poor quality food and to entice people to eat more than they really need, always upset my stomach so I stopped eating them, but do occasionally add a teeny amount if I really want it.  They are intended to cause faster digestion.  Who needs that?  So, SUPERSIZE THAT JUNKFOOD! Not!

I realized that when I am hungry it is usually for a specific food and I can almost picture it.  My body is saying it remembers receiving a specific nutrient from that food before.  It is out of that construction material.  Just don't add 20 other weird ingredients to get it.  That's when we overeat and why you can't fill up a teenager.  They eat junk and not the critical minerals their bodies need to develop into another creature.  Unless they educate themselves and listen to their inner furnace, they will lose vital nutrients and either starve inward, or become obese outward.

Look for Bob's Red Mill Grains and products for clean well-grown food.  Visit farm markets and make them prove their greenery is worthy of the title organic.  Ask the city in which it was grown, and don't buy it if it's out of season.  

OK, other positive ideas?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

#2 punky052

punky052

Ultimate Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

Use beans for protein less meat.

#3 tompepper

tompepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

I was never a fan of pork and cut way back on beef.We eat mostly fish and chicken.Although I still enjoy an occasional burger maybe once or twice a month and 2 slices of bacon once a week.I don't buy meats at the super market but rather at the butcher shop.That way i'm not dealing with MSGs' or red dyes.I love warm weather because I can get fresh weggies and fruit.I buy farm fresh eggs rather than industrial eggs.

#4 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

True, you can't always totally clean up your diet instantly, but you can get a start and continue to improve.  Babies are a cinch!  They don't know any better so you can clean up their diets right at the start.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

#5 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

I made a huge, really good, chicken/rice/broccoli casserole this week and never thought when I added a can of Cream of Chicken Soup till I felt like I had eaten three turkey dinners in a row.  Then I checked the can and found there was MSG listed on the ingredients.  I had to give the casserole away but not till I had already eaten it twice and felt terrible again.

Albert Einstein

#6 wildflowerpa

wildflowerpa

wildflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

I don't have anything to add but watch the Hibiscus tea. I started drinking it but didn't know it lowers your blood pressure.

#7 WMJ77

WMJ77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,288 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

http://www.eatingwell.com/

• Jay likes this

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

#8 junk

junk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

Junk, hopefully people will add some serious answers:

The question was recently raised about where you get healthy food.  So where do you get yours?  How have you changed your diet successfully and improved your appreciation of food quality.?

Beverages:  I've tried to get away from excessive amounts of tea so I ordered Hibiscus Flowers from the internet and I make my own healthy tea just the way I like it. I gave up pop on a regular basis, never drank coffee, keep water chilled in a bottle in the fridge.  It worked.

Salads, I feed them to myself like a required medicine dose.  Found that I absolutely love cottage cheese as a dressing so I eat them willingly.  First thing this spring I intend to plant small batches of different lettuces to find out which ones I like, grow them in some shade so they don't bolt, and add food items like my own chicken eggs, olives, fresh tomatoes and home made cheeses to the mix.

Meat:  I started buying smaller amounts of Choice Organic Beef.  The taste treat is worth savoring instead of just bolting it down to finish it.

Spices:  The massive amounts used today to cover up poor quality food and to entice people to eat more than they really need, always upset my stomach so I stopped eating them, but do occasionally add a teeny amount if I really want it.  They are intended to cause faster digestion.  Who needs that?  So, SUPERSIZE THAT JUNKFOOD! Not!

I realized that when I am hungry it is usually for a specific food and I can almost picture it.  My body is saying it remembers receiving a specific nutrient from that food before.  It is out of that construction material.  Just don't add 20 other weird ingredients to get it.  That's when we overeat and why you can't fill up a teenager.  They eat junk and not the critical minerals their bodies need to develop into another creature.  Unless they educate themselves and listen to their inner furnace, they will lose vital nutrients and either starve inward, or become obese outward.

Look for Bob's Red Mill Grains and products for clean well-grown food.  Visit farm markets and make them prove their greenery is worthy of the title organic.  Ask the city in which it was grown, and don't buy it if it's out of season.  

OK, other positive ideas?

Are you talking to me? I spent 5 months in CTKM in 2008 and went from 220 to 295lbs with their Diet plan. When I got out I went on the Atkins diet and lost 100lbs in about 15 months. Best way of eating ever , my Cholesterol went way down and I felt great but I could not stick to it. A high Protein diet is the best way to go if you want to be Healthy,,,which goes against what most will say. Ever watch that show " My 600lb life" ? The first thing the Doctor tells those people is to go High Protein and No Carbs.Its not meat or Fat that makes us Fat,,Its Carbs.

Now days I am Fat and just dont give a crap.

Next Stop,,, Willoughby!!!!!

No one will come here at night...in the Dark.

#9 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

I think you could scrape some of those pictures off of the page and they would taste good!  Thanks.

I'm not a big fresh lettuce eater but I'm starting small spots of about 10 lettuces this spring.  Then I'm heading out to sample and see what tickles my fancy.  That's what happens when you grow up in a household of iceberg.

Albert Einstein

#10 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Are you talking to me? I spent 5 months in CTKM in 2008 and went from 220 to 295lbs with their Diet plan. When I got out I went on the Atkins diet and lost 100lbs in about 15 months. Best way of eating ever , my Cholesterol went way down and I felt great but I could not stick to it. A high Protein diet is the best way to go if you want to be Healthy,,,which goes against what most will say. Ever watch that show " My 600lb life" ? The first thing the Doctor tells those people is to go High Protein and No Carbs.Its not meat or Fat that makes us Fat,,Its Carbs.

Now days I am Fat and just dont give a crap.

Can I interest you in some homemade cheese?  The milk for it is in the fridge. I eat enough protein that the chickens duck when I head to the coop, but I need to add more fresh veggies.  I think I need the nutrients.

Albert Einstein

#11 Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

Heard this song on the radio today. I had forgotten about that people were eating healthy in the 70`s

#12 WMJ77

WMJ77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,288 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

https://www.tasteful...032017tscbronze

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

#13 old farm boy

old farm boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:22 AM

real food.jpg

"Any man who can safely drive a car while kissing a pretty girl, simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves"... Albert Einstein

#14 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

To get the nutrition that our gut needs in order to process vitamins and minerals, we much have the correct enzymes and acids already established there which builds the immune system.  Every time you eat chemicals, excessive acids, sugars, processed foods, chemically altered foods, you are damaging your gut bacteria. 

Next thing, without the ability to properly digest raw natural foods, your immune system fails and you or you organs are starved, even if your stomach is full and you are fat.  

Making it short, stop unnecessary antibiotics, purposefully feed your gut bacteria every day, eat whole and natural foods and drink water.  

It takes times and won't happen overnight, but every bite of unprocessed food that goes into a healthy microbial digestive environment improves your ability to fight off all of the diseases of old age and infection.  That's my goal.  If you see me eating at McDonalds, don't be surprised, I'm not at 100% yet but I'm working at it.

Albert Einstein

#15 soccermom

soccermom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65,261 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

I made a huge, really good, chicken/rice/broccoli casserole this week and never thought when I added a can of Cream of Chicken Soup till I felt like I had eaten three turkey dinners in a row.  Then I checked the can and found there was MSG listed on the ingredients.  I had to give the casserole away but not till I had already eaten it twice and felt terrible again.

Make your own white sauce as a substitute for recipes calling for canned cream soups. Tastes better and is better for you.

#16 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,604 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

Yes, it's part of the process.  Gotta give away all of the Cream Soups.  I keep a pantry so I'm prepared but those soups will have to go.

Albert Einstein

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users