• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Local grocery stores getting liquor licenses?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 old3dogg

old3dogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,288 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

Up here, you have to slam down a couple of pounder's  before you go into the store.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now out numbered by those who VOTE for a living."

"You can twist perceptions but reality wont budge."

#22 NikonSniper

NikonSniper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

Don't know if you remember Justin Wilson the Cajun cook. (How Y' All Are)  He did this on his show cook with wine, drink a little wine, cook with wine, drink a little wine along with telling stories. (I Garontee).  Watched his shows  all the time . Died in 2001.

Lots of those great TV chef's were lushes! Justin Wilson, Graham Kerr aka the Galloping Gourmet, Julia Child, etc......

#23 Buster99

Buster99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Loved watching Graham Kerr!
What seems a blessing may really be a curse.  What seems a curse may really be a blessing.

#24 BigT

BigT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

[quote name="landfillguy" post="414571" timestamp="1494966642"]We have a grocery store called Lowe's Foods that lets you drink beer and wine while you shop. Now I have something to do while my wife decides which cheese is 3 cents cheaper[/quote

Ours friends that live down your way refer to the he Lowe's or she Lowe's. I thought it was funny when we were visiting and she told her hubby to make a run to she Lowe's.

#25 hipower

hipower

hipower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

[quote name="landfillguy" post="414571" timestamp="1494966642"]We have a grocery store called Lowe's Foods that lets you drink beer and wine while you shop. Now I have something to do while my wife decides which cheese is 3 cents cheaper[/quote

Ours friends that live down your way refer to the he Lowe's or she Lowe's. I thought it was funny when we were visiting and she told her hubby to make a run to she Lowe's.

Even in my caffeine addled state this morning I had to think about that one for an extra second.  Maybe I should go visit John Deere and do something that doesn't require conscious thought.

#26 mr.d

mr.d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,073 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Way was reading article in the Jeffersonian Democrat the Get Go on the Blvd. going to have license along with sit down eating for 35 people. Don't know where in store it will be or build a piece on.

Brookville Borough OKs Resolution for GetGo Liquor License

May 17, 2017 9:26 am·

brookville-get-go.jpg
BROOKVILLE, Pa. (EYT) — GetGo on Allegheny Boulevard in Brookville received the borough council’s blessing to serve alcohol at Tuesday night’s meeting.

Now, it is up to the state Liquor Control Board to approve the transfer of a license that is currently located in Young Township at the Pizza Hut located off Route 119, south of Punxsutawney. The license is set to expire July 31, 2017.

There were no public comments for or against the transfer of the license.

The only thing many members of council hoped would happen is that the beverages sold at the GetGo would be bought from local distributors, but there were no promises that would happen.

GetGo, Giant Eagle’s version of a convenience store, wrote to the Borough at the end of March requesting a resolution from the Borough approving the inter-municipal transfer of a Pennsylvania “eating place” liquor license from outside Brookville.

Giant Eagle has an agreement to buy the liquor license from the Pizza Hut.

Giant Eagle said in the letter to the borough that it will operate a restaurant inside the store and to sell beer and wine for consumption inside the store and “to go.”

The letter also stated that the GetGo in Brookville will have a separate entrance, but the interior will connect to the grocery store.

Tuesday, attorney Paul Namey, of Flaherty & O’Hara in Pittsburgh, which specializes in beverage alcohol law, and Giant Eagle Senior Corporate Counsel Dani Kazienko, gave a presentation and answered questions from council members about what the GetGo location will offer.

Namey said the GetGo on Allegheny Boulevard will seat about 30 people. No liquor will be sold. Beer will be sold first, in four-, six- and 12-packs, and later, wine, but only by the bottle.

He explained Giant Eagle’s 100 percent carding policy.

“It doesn’t matter how old or young you look, you will be asked to produce photo I-D for proof of age,” Namey said. “Also, a big part of the training our employees must have is identifying minors in groups that may include adults trying to buy alcohol for them and those who are inebriated and not allowed to buy alcohol.”

Kazienko talked about how the alcohol would be sold.

“The vast majority of our purchases are take out. Very few people actually stay in the store to consume it,” Kazienko said. “If someone bought a sandwich and wanted to have a bottle of beer with it, the cashier would remove the cap and give it to the buyer.

“You couldn’t buy a six-pack and sit down to drink it with your food.”

Namey explained that 17 GetGo locations have already been approved for liquor licenses and they have not had any PLCB violations.

“We don’t want to put too much of a burden on the local police, but we haven’t seen any problems,” Namey said.

Chief of Police Jason Brown said he didn’t anticipate working with GetGo would be a problem.

Near the end of the council meeting, Borough Manager Dana Shick reported that another request was made to have a hearing regarding the transfer of a liquor license to a borough business.

The Opera House Cafe, located on Main Street, made the request for a public hearing to transfer a license from Zimm’s Sports Bar in Reynoldsville.

The hearing is to give the public a chance to made its feelings known.

If the borough approves a resolution, the state Liquor Control Board must approve the license transfer.

http://www.exploreje...liquor-license/

#27 Dobby

Dobby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

we need to start selling real fireworks...bottle rockets & Roman candles!!
Dobby

#28 mr.d

mr.d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,073 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

Jefferson County ----

Voters in two townships, Pinecreek and Union, will have referendums that deal with selling alcohol.

In Pinecreek, voters said “yes” on whether the “dry” township will allow the granting of licenses to sell liquor. The vote was 113-56.

In Union Township, voters also said “yes” to granting of a liquor license for a privately-owned public golf course, Pinecrest Country Club, with the understanding that the township will maintain its dry status. The vote was 114-38.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users