34 replies to this topic

#21 hipower

hipower

hipower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

I do not think death is the answer and I feel that way in most death sentences. The reason is death is the easy way out, there is nothing hard or punishing about it. I think the only prisons should be work camps in which the criminals provide hard labor to help out society. A lifetime of hard labor is far more punishment than a humane death. These guys need some form of actual punishment.

Not bad in theory, but the cost to society in general is too high.  Of course, as always, that's just my opinion.

#22 WMJ77

WMJ77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,611 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

if you (courts) are not going to finish the jury's sentence then why have them.....like I said, not everyone that has killed someone gets the death sentence....they get "life" in prison....those that get "death", should get it

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

#23 hipower

hipower

hipower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

if you (courts) are not going to finish the jury's sentence then why have them.....like I said, not everyone that has killed someone gets the death sentence....they get "life" in prison....those that get "death", should get it

I agree, but the bleeding hearts in our society feel the need to execute criminals in a humane way.  SMH. How is that even possible?  Just execute them and get it over with. 

#24 bass100

bass100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Not bad in theory, but the cost to society in general is too high.  Of course, as always, that's just my opinion.

Work camps that provide a service to society would more than pay for what is required to keep them alive.  We already provide these high costs to the prisoners, I say it is time we get them to give more than they take, and give back to society and it makes their time behind bars a true punishment.

#25 WMJ77

WMJ77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,611 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

that would be great^^ for the life in prison crew ...chain gangs should be out there, the other death row crew should be cleaned out monthly

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

#26 hipower

hipower

hipower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

Work camps that provide a service to society would more than pay for what is required to keep them alive.  We already provide these high costs to the prisoners, I say it is time we get them to give more than they take, and give back to society and it makes their time behind bars a true punishment.

Most prisoners who are not murderers, and so convicted, should be in work camp facilities.  I would not provide that "luxury" for murderers.

If the figures I see cited as the cost for housing prisoners are accurate it would be tough to offset the complete cost of prisoner housing in a work camp environment, but I still support the concept.

#27 bass100

bass100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

Most prisoners who are not murderers, and so convicted, should be in work camp facilities.  I would not provide that "luxury" for murderers.

If the figures I see cited as the cost for housing prisoners are accurate it would be tough to offset the complete cost of prisoner housing in a work camp environment, but I still support the concept.

That brings up a whole new topic about prisons being for profit and not for the betterment and justice of society.

#28 hipower

hipower

hipower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

If jails and prisons operated by the county state or federal government were operated as for profit entities would you be in favor of them then?  Or are you only opposed when they are operated by private investment?

#29 Sanibel

Sanibel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

I agree, but the bleeding hearts in our society feel the need to execute criminals in a humane way.  SMH. How is that even possible?  Just execute them and get it over with.

Here is something I don't understand. Three times in my life I have had the unfortunate experience of having to get beloved pet put to sleep. Not once was there a problem with the injections. Why do they not just use the same drugs when carrying out the death penalty? In less than a minute, it was all over.

#30 bass100

bass100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

If jails and prisons operated by the county state or federal government were operated as for profit entities would you be in favor of them then?  Or are you only opposed when they are operated by private investment?

No, prisons and jails should not be businesses, they should be institutions for society.

#31 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

I agree completely.  While they are awaiting their fate then they should be working to support themselves at the very least.  No cigarettes, no TV, just work.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

#32 bass100

bass100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

Here is something I don't understand. Three times in my life I have had the unfortunate experience of having to get beloved pet put to sleep. Not once was there a problem with the injections. Why do they not just use the same drugs when carrying out the death penalty? In less than a minute, it was all over.

If being humane to those that are inhumane is the issue, then the cheapest way is hanging as it is instant, no pain, and the rope can be used over and over.

#33 Sanibel

Sanibel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

My dad used to have an expression...." He'd complain even if he were hung with a new rope"! I never quite got that one as a kid!

#34 pwacm

pwacm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

My dad used to have an expression...." He'd complain even if he were hung with a new rope"! I never quite got that one as a kid!

My Father used that one too.

#35 hipower

hipower

hipower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:18 AM

No, prisons and jails should not be businesses, they should be institutions for society.

A bit of a endless problem.  It's hard to keep the business thinking out of it since the costs of operation are a significant taxpayer expense which large B parts of society don't support. Both those who don't pay taxes or those who don't believe incarceration is appropriate.

We supported mental hospitals at one time but that changed to group homes as we moved toward mainstreaming our mentally handicapped citizens.  It is obvious that the prison/jail system will evolve, the question is how and how will we, as society, fund it.

Apologies for dragging this thread so far off topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users