6 replies to this topic

#1 mr.d

mr.d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,096 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:01 AM

United made a homeward-bound soldier pay $200 for an overweight military duffel bagby Circa News

Trending

May 18, 2017

National Guard First Lieutenant John Rader was traveling home this week when United Airlines charged him $200 because his 70-pound military duffel bag was overweight, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Rader's bag contained standard battlefield gear including a Kevlar vest, two helmets and boots.

Rader was deployed in Afghanistan for nearly two years and was on his way home from El Paso, Texas, to Austin, Texas.

United permits active military servicemen and women to check up to five bags for free as long as they are under 70 pounds. 

Rader was told that he could buy a second bag in which to put some of his gear, but he declined.

"There was no empathy to the situation. I'm not looking for sympathy, but some form of empathy in the situation. There was none of that. It was just cold. I had to either pay or leave the bag," Rader said.

Some on social media are unhappy at the soldier's treatment. 

United released a statement on Tuesday indicating that it would refund Rader's money. 

"We are disappointed anytime a customer has an experience that doesn't meet their expectations, and our customer care team is reaching out to this customer to issue a refund for his oversized bag as a gesture of goodwill," the airline said.

Rader said he hopes his story will lead to changes in the airline's policy -- but he won't be flying United anymore.

SEE TWEETS;   http://circa.com/cir...ight-duffel-bag

#2 gopsu

gopsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

United permits active military servicemen and women to check up to five bags for free as long as they are under 70 pounds. 

Rader was told that he could buy a second bag in which to put some of his gear, but he declined.

I'm sorry, but this is stupid. So he could bring 350 pounds of gear on the plane (5x70) spread over 5 bags. But since he had more than 70 pounds in one bag and I'm guessing less than 140 pounds (since he was told he could buy a second bag), they made him pay $200?!?!?!

Where was he supposed to purchase a second bag in the airport?

#3 soccermom

soccermom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66,954 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Who the heck do these airlines have working for them? Geesh! I'm sure there are lots of folks who would love to have those jobs and who would treat customers the right way.

#4 Tommy

Tommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

Sorry, I don't see the problem with this charge. The agent followed standard regulations.

The LT messed up. He was only authorized 70# per bag, he put more than 70# in the bag.

Question that comes to my mind is how he got so far with this bag that weighed over 70#.

His bags should have been weighed as the departed Kabul and points in between before he got onto a United Airlines flight.

a. When he files his travel claim he puts down $200,00 for excess baggage weight and gets reimbursed. Claiming for the Excess Baggage fee seems to be fairly simple now days : http://www.defensetr...ess_Baggage.pdf 

b. Even if he were to be traveling on AMC (Air Mobility Command (MAC for some of us "long in the tooth" veterans)) he would have been charged for excess baggage weight.

Following quoted from AMC web site: http://www.amc.af.mi...age-Allowances/

Excess Baggage
Excess baggage is only authorized for passengers traveling TDY or TAD on official orders. Each passenger is authorized two pieces of baggage not to exceed 70 pounds each or 62 linear inches (length plus width height). Bags larger than 62 linear inches and/or heavier than 70 pounds will be counted as two pieces. Checked baggage exceeding the allowed weight criteria will be counted as an extra piece for each increment of 70 pounds. The maximum charge per piece for FY17 is $125. Excess baggage fees for space required passengers may be paid with the Government Travel card where services are available.

#5 TD

TD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

There personnel should be cut a break after serving "over there". Get real - real quick!!!

#6 Petee

Petee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

If he knew ahead of time then it was pure and simply his fault.  If not, then why and how did he miss that info?  

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

#7 mr.d

mr.d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,096 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:18 AM

What he had in his military duffel bag may have been what he was required to have with him.  A second bag may have to be a military issue and how many airports would carry this.  

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users