3 replies to this topic

#1 Eastman

Eastman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

I think I have finally found the reason for my unexplained coolant loss with no evidence of a leak in my 2004 Chevy Silverado. Now a new lifter noise at cold start up that goes away after a while. My mechanic (who was a GM Tech before he went into business for himself) found where my coolant has been going today, it's puddled in the intake and evidently being blown out the exhaust. He suspects it has these JUNK Chinese Castech heads and is probably cracked.
66,500 miles, bought new, changed the oil every 3,000 miles/ 6 months, and did all the recommended PM's. BULLSHIT!!! >:(

Anyone else have this problem with the 5.3L GM engine model years 2001-2006?

All things in life are temporary. If going well enjoy it, they will not last forever.

#2 buellman22

buellman22

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

i've replaced the heads on some 5.3 liters for cracks, the difference being, they cracked around the headbolt bosses and leaked small amounts of coolant into the engine oil , just under the valve covers. the leaks where slow enough so that the coolant was being boiled out of the engine oil as fast as it was getting in so it went unnoticed for a while. head replacement is the only cure.
as far as your noise, it is more likely piston rattle on cold start up. lifter noises usually get worse as the oil heats and thins not better.

"It's not the flesh and blood, but the heart that makes us fathers and sons."

#3 Eastman

Eastman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Was the heads you replaced Castech heads? From what I've seen researching this issue tonight, this is not an isolated problem with these heads. It sucks that you do all the stuff you are suppose to do to make them last and this kind of crap happens.

All things in life are temporary. If going well enjoy it, they will not last forever.

#4 buellman22

buellman22

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

they where a certain part number, but I don't remember particulars, it's been a number of years.

"It's not the flesh and blood, but the heart that makes us fathers and sons."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users